Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Vibration of Youth


The infamous "Vy Bar"

During my employment with Korean Air I was housed with 400+ other expat pilots at the Hyatt Hotel located at the Incheon Airport. It is a very nice hotel and as much time as I have spent in hotels around the world, I've seen some pretty good ones, and some awful ones too.


In the rear of the lobby at the Incheon Hyatt, there is a dark corner where if you're curious enough to venture back there, you'll find the entrance to the "Vy Bar".  This gathering place is very dungeon-like and is almost entirely empty every night.  Generally, the only few patrons of this establishment are the expat pilots whom live at the hotel, and even then it's typically only on what we like to call "Lady Night".  It's advertised as "Ladies Night" but considering that every time the only woman in the place is the bartender, it really is a misnomer.  


The expats would gather here every so often to commiserate and tell various stories/lies to each other... and one question had gone unanswered for a long time.  What the hell did the "Vy" stand for in the name of the bar?  As pilots we were taught since day 1 of ground school that "Vy" was the "best rate of climb" for a given airplane but that really couldn't be what they were referring to, right?  Well one evening, one of the guys asked a hotel employee about this and he told us that it stood for "the vibration of youth".  Um, excuse me?  What?  To this day I still don't fully understand what that means or how it has any real correlation to this dark and dingy hotel bar, but I guess I can just add it to the long list of things the Koreans did that baffled me.


Gun Bae!

No comments:

Post a Comment